Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Kantor, Arcadiy: PS1



The panorama I took is of the courtyard of Castle Sanssouci (which is closer to a palace than a castle, really) in Potsdam, Germany. It's composed of six different photos taken in landscape mode. I cropped the result of autostitch's work in Paint Shop Pro. While I think on the whole it came out pretty well, there are a few issues that one can see if looking closely at the panorama. First of all, one can see a blur next to the person with the backpack nearest the camera to the immediate left of the central fountain; the man was moving as I was taking my pictures, and the blur was the result (although autostitch did a surprisingly good job of covering up the issue). Also, one might notice that I took one more image on the left side of the picture than on the right, giving it a slightly unbalanced look. Both of these are social rather than computational issues, but I think it may have been possible to address the moving man by attempting to clone him out of the picture. Not taking the picture is beyond help, sadly.

Unfortunately, of the three panoramas I attempted doing in autostitch, this is the only one that came out looking decent; the others had a variety of issues that made the final result look rather crappy. Particularly unfortunate was the panorama I took of the Bavaria and the Bavarian hall of fame; it did not come out well at all because I had to aim the camera up to get the whole statue into the frame and the resulting panorama came out badly warped due to the perspective differences.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home